It is common for adults and children to dislike or avoid going to the dentist, but since regular dental check ups and emergency dental services are important, Dallas Laser Dentistry offers sedation dentistry to help patients overcome their anxiety and fears. Dallas Laser Dentistry has an in-house licensed anesthesiologist that works with dentists Dr. Mary Swift and Dr. Terrel Myers to safely sedate patients using local anesthesia, nitrous oxide, IV sedation, oral sedation, and conscious sedation. Sedation dentistry is available for all dental procedures from routine cleanings to more invasive oral surgery.
"Everything went as planned. Started promptly. Procedures were explained as they were implemented."- D.M. / Demandforce / Nov 10, 2015
"As usual I can't say enough good things about Dallas Laser Dentistry. This is by far the best Dental Team I have ever visited counting both the US and abroad. Thank You with a big White Smile."- F.H. / Google / Nov 05, 2017
"Dr Swift and her team of professionals are fantastic! They are always polite and have a great deal of interest in my health. Scheduling is never an issue. They are great with me kids also."- T.M. / Google / Nov 05, 2017
"Amazing experience every time ! Excellent dental practice!"- S.K. / Facebook / Sep 08, 2017
"This review only contains a rating"- J.G. / Facebook / Sep 07, 2017
Sedation dentistry can help a variety of patients including those with a low pain threshold, trouble sitting still, dental anxiety, sensitive teeth, a strong gag reflex, or anyone having large amounts of dental work performed at once. Dallas Laser Dentistry provides several levels of sedation from mild conscious sedation to unconscious sedation and your dentist will speak to you about your best options.
What to Expect
- Local Anesthesia
- A local anesthetic is a numbing cream that is meant to relieve pain during the patient’s procedure or before another type of sedation.
- Nitrous Oxide
- Also known as laughing gas, nitrous oxide is a minimal sedation that is inhaled through the nose. The dentist will adjust the amount of gas that is given until the patient is relaxed enough for their procedure. Since it wears off quickly, patients are usually able to drive themselves home after nitrous oxide sedation
- IV Sedation
- With IV sedation, the patient is put into moderate sedation quickly since the drug is put directly into the patient’s vein
- Oral Sedation
- Oral sedation is accomplished with a pill that is swallowed by the patient for minimal to moderate sedation, depending on the dose that is given. Some patients may fall asleep during the procedure, but are easily woken when it is over.
- Conscious Sedation
- With conscious sedation, the patient is awake but kept relaxed through mild to moderate sedation techniques.
- Unconscious Sedation
- Unconscious sedation uses stronger sedation methods to safely put the patient in a sleep-like unconscious state.
Plan Your Procedure
Sedation Dentistry FAQs
Is It Safe?
For the safety of their patients, Dallas Laser Dentistry has a fully trained and licensed dental anesthesiologist to perform all sedation techniques. The anesthesiologist will continuously monitor the patient while they are sedated and adjust their levels of sedation as needed for the patient’s safety and comfort.
Level of Sedation?
The sedation technique and level of sedation for the patient will be determined by the amount of dental work being done and the amount of anxiety the patient has about the procedure. Dr. Swift, Dr. Myers, and the dental anesthesiologist will discuss options with the patient and chose the safest and most appropriate level and technique of sedation.
Anxiety or Phobia?
It’s estimated that about 75% of adults experience some degree of anxiety about going to the dentist, which makes them more likely to avoid regular dental exams and cleanings. About 5 – 10 % of adults have a dental phobia that prevents them from going to the dentist regularly or even in an emergency. Dental anxiety and fear are often based on a past experience at the dentist, so Dallas Laser Dentistry strives to make every patient feel comfortable and safe during their visit.